Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Big Grocery Purchase and the unbelieving Check out counter girl

Just came from the Carrefour GB Contact Grocery with my Mom and Sis to do our weekly grocery.  We just kept on adding on and on to our shopping cart and when check out came, I just handed my card for payment of our goodies all totalling 99.00 euros.  

What we found funny was the check out counter girl who asked me in French if I wanted to ask for a deferred payment plan with my card for the Purchases.  

I said "Non, c'est pas necessaire.  Ma carte est une Visa d'Or, Je crois que c'est pas posible, meri"   (No, thanks, it's not necessary.  My card is a Visa Gold, I don't think they have that option anyway) - , and smiled. She was probably wracking her brains out how a seemingly migrant Asian family consumes 99 euros worth of groceries in one blow.   (disclaimer, my pidgin french is still very very basic, pardon my written french here)

Honestly though, 6600 pesos worth of groceries for a family of four, is not really that big even in Manila.    It's just that we were asians, I guess.


No comments: