Monday, January 07, 2008

Things about Manila Life I have always taken for granted! (in no particular order)

1. Laundry!

I have underestimated the laundry, I was first confronted by this fact when i did my
Business School (masters) in Spain. and I was trying to figure out how to operate the washing machine and dryer in the wash room of my student condo. The worst part for me is the ironing. I dunno how to iron properly. My futile attempts would leave creased lines in places where there weren't supposed to be lines and folds. hehe. to the point where one of the mom's of my co-dormers had pity on me and taught me how to iron haha. Lately, my quandary has been how to figure out how to operate the laundromat machines (the instructions are in french or dutch and no one is there to help you) hehe.



2. Parking

I don't have a car yet but am planning to get one in Feb or March. I know for a fact though that parking fees here will surely burn a big hole in my pocket like 2 euros an hour?. hehe. I'll arrange for the office to get me a slot.

3. Cabs

Cabs here are few and far between. and they cost like they run on liquid gold. sigh. Who cares if the cab drivers in manila haggle for about 50 bucks more. the 150 peso trip is just less than 3 euros and the average cab ride here is between 7-10 euros per trip.






4. People who do the work for you at home / elsewhere (aka Servants, Helpers)


Their service is gold indeed, given wholeheartedly or begrudgingly. Here you gotta do everything. Back home, everything is done for you. haaaaaaay. Yaya!!!!!!!

I'm getting a cleaning lady soon, but it still not the same. I still need to go to this car wash place and do the washing myself. and pay them for it. (what?) that's when I get my car pa naman.

5. Groceries/ Errands

Imagine being in the grocery and buying as much water as you can for your entire week. Plus Fresh Milk and Juices. Not to mention all the other things you need to buy for your general consumption at home. Then after check-out you realize you and your shopping cart are not going to the parking area but to the bus stop, because you are new in this country and you don't have your trusty car, (it's in the Philippines BOZO!). You panic momentarily and try to hail a cab. No taxi stand anywhere. What to do? what to do? you brave the gazillion @#$$%$#@$^$#%^ plastic bags full of groceries and try to be the Hulk, carry all of them to the nearest bus/tram stand or metro station, squeeze your way in amidst the commuting public, and try to master your balance and NOT fall. then when you get off the stop where your house is, (It's about a block away) you trudge all the way to your house, uphill, with everything you bought. WTF!!!!!!
So I'm buying a car the soonest possible instance I can get. I think next month is good. This month, am concentrating on furnishing my entire house. GEEEeeZ

6. Loved ones: Family and Friends!

No need for explanations! I miss my dear friends and family , my dogs!!!! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

7. The 30 degree-weather, rain or shine.

Putek anlamig lamig dito!!!!!!!!! -2 degrees? umuulan ulan pa? WTF

8. Cheap food, Glorious pinoy food! all kinds of food! (eg: Sinigang, tinola, BULALO!!!, fried tilapia and bangus!!!!Sinigang!!!!), all kinds of restaurants serving food from all over!


For some reason, there seems to be a scarcity of spanish restaurants here. hmmmm. They have indian, japanese, chinese (almost in every corner), french, german, italian, dutch, etc.

I like the food na rin, but nothing compares to the heavenly putahes i mentioned above.

Dammit even eating at Serendra's or Greenbelt 3's finest restos will be cheap compared to the regular restaurants here.

Man I lost 10 lbs already! It probably is good. hehehe

9. Tagalog/ Ilonggo/ English/ Cebuano!!!!

The thing is with me, I go crazy and feel stupid if I can't converse fluently with the locals. There's nothing like an occasional healthy banter and exchange of yakkitty yakkks with dear friends once in a while , while here, everyone must think I'm Oriental from the mainland because I stutter and I stammer. trying to say what I want. ARRRRRGGGGHHHhhh


And the list goes on . . . I have a lot of things to add in this list but It's already 11:46 pm.

and don't get me wrong. am not a newbie at being overseas. I've been all over the place for like half a decade living, studying and working abroad and back, but my rants are still the same.

sigh buhay hehehe. don't worry I ain't complaining . . . yet! hehe I'm just thinking aloud.

bear with me guys, am just thinking aloud have a great life everyone! the world is your stage!

carpe diem, carpe totem!!!!!!







No comments: