Sunday, January 11, 2009

Aaaah Belgie! spreekt u het Vlaams? (Ah Belgium! Do you speak Dutch?)

I don't know what's up with the Dutch immigration officials lately but everytime I pass immigration control, they seem to ask me that.

"Aaaah Belgium, do you speak Dutch?" looking at my diplomatic passport and card.

I answer, "Nein, Not at all"

"Nein? "

"Nein."

then they ask me if I speak french

"Parles vous frances?"

"Oui, Un petit peu . . . pour quoi?" (in my street french, A bit, why?)

then she gave a nervous laugh.

I dunno if it's sensitivity towards self preservation of their language, but I must be offending their sensibilities everytime I say no. I don't speak Dutch, but yes, I speak French.

the last immigration person on my way to Manila a month ago also asked the same.

geeez



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Micahel. This is Fernando. Are you with the DFA?

My email address: beup@yahoo.com.