Saturday, August 09, 2008

Myself, regressing into illiteracy

When I was a kid, not too many years ago, I used to be a voracious reader.  When our playmates, the Acevedos, would go away for the summer and we stayed -- I and my kid sister, six years my junior, would be left to our own little worlds.    She with her dolls and broadways musicals and I with my lego blocks I made into entire cities and then there were the books.  

My mom built up quite a library, i should say . . . from the complete Dr. Seuss Books (The Bear Family, Cat in the Hat, Are you my Mother) of my pre-school and primary years to the  great works of Homer to Bacon to Shakespeare to Chaucer  . . .(nope, not all, I only read selectively of the former)    

I actually remember reading some article by Condi Rice in a World Heritage Yearbook Volume, back when she was a professor at some Ivy League University . . . 

Then there were three kinds of encyclopedia, Young People's Science Encyclopedia, Some other Encyclopedia and the 42 Volume Encyclopedia Americana --  I think I read/browsed through all the volumes as a kid.   During the summers when we didn't go on trips . . . the pages of those books brought me to places like Georgia, USSR to Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.

But now, since after college actually, not too far back really,  my reading started to wane to nothingness.   I rarely read anything anymore (except for Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings, recently)  

That, my dear folks, is the reason why I can't write anything decent.  Or when I do manage to end up with something like these pathetic excuses for blog entries, they're all trash.   I've turned into this illiterate, internet-addicted, tv-gawking person.   That and sheer lack of talent.



But I know you still love me enough to put up with my sh*t . . . hehehe




No comments: